Death of a Bird: Pelicans and Pollution in the Cooks River

I found this bird on the river bank at Undercliffe on June 8, 2010. Did it die from botulism or did it choke on the armada of plastic that floats on the river?

The St George Leader reported last year the following:
“Australian Seabird Rescue president Marny Bonner said the botulism toxin is produced by bacteria in decaying animal and vegetable matter. Once ingested by birds it paralyses the neck and limbs and most die within 48 hours.” [Source: http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/news/general/pelicans-poisoned/1411686.aspx%5D

(It’s made worse by the rains and the run-off of garden fertilizer and dog excrement).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s