I found this bird on the river bank at Undercliffe on June 8, 2010. Did it die from botulism or did it choke on the armada of plastic that floats on the river?
The St George Leader reported last year the following:
“Australian Seabird Rescue president Marny Bonner said the botulism toxin is produced by bacteria in decaying animal and vegetable matter. Once ingested by birds it paralyses the neck and limbs and most die within 48 hours.” [Source: http://www.theleader.com.au/news/local/news/general/pelicans-poisoned/1411686.aspx%5D
(It’s made worse by the rains and the run-off of garden fertilizer and dog excrement).